THE ECOLOGICAL SELF
The ecological self forms a deep part of our identity that has gone beyond the confines of the beliefs and concepts as adopted by its family of origin, culture, or even its life experiences. When these unconscious fields of influences are dissolved we adopt an ‘I belong here’ approach to life as opposed to a ‘Do I belong here?’ approach.
The meditation question you can ask yourself is “If you felt ‘I belong here’ in every room you entered in your experience of life, how might you show up?” Please be sure to meditate, breathe and bring yourself into the space of the heart before answering this question.
If you are new to meditation or my practice, I would like to invite you to join our Facebook group, Playing Bigger and Playing Beautiful. There are a couple of simple questions to answer, then an admin will approve your access. Inside the group, you will find a meditation to get you started. Click here to access it.
Regarding The Ecological Self, we are examining who you surround yourself with. Ask yourself;
- Are those you are surrounded by lifting yet challenging you?
- Or are those you are surrounded by squashing and keeping you small?
The goal is to examine who is most aligned with your current focus, keeping in mind that detoxing and letting go of relationships in any way that is disrespectful to any party involved is not a kind approach. My approach is to lovingly and gently become aware of those who you are surrounded by both on a personal and professional level and notice what your focus area is over the next 30 to 90-day period, then determine if they are aligned.
For example, if we have decided to take time out to focus on family and health then our professional life takes a slight back seat for a short time in this period. It may seem blindingly obvious and overly simplistic (generally a sign that we are on to a good thing) but it is essential that we communicate clearly with anyone that has been having daily contact with us that we are going to be off-line or out of action for a little bit of time; also known as setting respectful and healthy boundaries.
Levels of Understanding
If you are familiar with my work and in particular with my model of emotional self-inquiry The 6 Selves™, you will know that there are three levels of understanding that inform connections to the self and how it manifests:
- Level 1 – Intellect (Mind) – How we comprehend and make sense of the world around us
- Level 2 – Emotion (Body) – How we physically feel the experience
- Level 3 – Energetic (Spirit) – How we connect in to something greater than ourselves
Ecological Self – Intellect (Mind)
In this post, we are looking at the Intellect (Mind) and how this connects to the Ecological Self. Here are some prompting questions that you can ask yourself:
- Are the people I am surrounding myself with in my personal life understanding my point of view?
- Regarding the people I am surrounding myself with in my personal life, am I understanding their point of view?
- Are the people I am surrounding myself with in my personal life showing empathy and compassion towards me?
- Regarding the people I am surrounding myself with in my personal life, am I showing empathy and compassion towards them?
- Are the people I am surrounding myself with in my professional life understanding my point of view?
- Regarding the people I am surrounding myself with in my professional life, am I understanding their point of view?
- Are the people I am surrounding myself in my professional life displaying empathy and compassion towards me?
- Regarding the people I am surrounding myself with in my professional life, am I displaying empathy and compassion towards them?
I trust that you have found some golden nuggets in this post. As always please be sure to meditate breathe and bring yourself into the space of the heart before answering any of the above questions regardless of the fact that these are at level one, Intellect (Mind) your emotions, and your feelings will still be guiding your direction within.
Stay tuned for our next post which will be about the Ecological Self and how it connects to the Emotion (Body) at a level two understanding.
For more information on how to work with me to go deeper into the benefits of The 6 Selves™ and the outcomes you can achieve when you focus intentionally on these areas visit https://debbiezita.com/coaching/